Friday, October 19, 2007

October Bunco


This past Tuesday was my October Bunco party. I went with the Halloweeny theme and all the elements came together at the last minute. When planning my menu I had to keep in mind that I was serving 12 people a casual dinner that didn’t require sit down. It had to be simple enough that I could prepare it in only one hour and it had to cater to a wide range of unknown pallets. I couldn’t get to fancy or some people (like myself) might go hungry. I was very pleased with the end result of recipes and ideas I’d collected from a variety of sources. Everyone really enjoyed the food and a good time was had by all. Even though I didn't win Bunco it was really fun to have everyone over. I'm not through with my Halloween cuisine experiments. Luckily we still have a couple weeks to go! Here's my menu:

Appetizers:
Blood Ball – Shrimp ball with cocktail sauce (Peg Ferguson’s recipe)
Stuffed Coffin – Pumpernickel bread cut out to look like a coffin filled with dill dip

Main course:
Witches Fingers in Bandages - Frankfurters wrapped in puff pastry (recipe from All You Magazine)
Fried Goblin Fingers – Tyson Honey Battered Frozen Chicken Tenders

Side Dishes:
Moldy Mashed Potatoes – Betty Crocker Instant Mashed Potatoes with green food coloring
Bug Salad – Salad with raisins (recipe from All You Magazine)

Desserts:
Creepy Cookies – Sugar cookies with icing in the shapes of ghosts and pumpkins
Pumpkin Roll – The hit of the party (Aunt Grace’s recipe)

No comments: