Monday, March 3, 2008

My Favorite Designer

The anticipation is killing me! With only two days left until the finale of Project Runway, I’m already feeling a little sad that it’s going to be over. What will I do with my Wednesday nights? Thank goodness for Top Chef to fill my void, but it won’t be the same. I have lived a plane ride away from my little brother for the last 4 years and watching the show was a way for me to see him, see what he is doing and get to know more about his adult life. When I left for college, he was just starting high school and just learning about his artistic abilities. From the time he was little we knew he was going to be a successful artist, but had no idea it all would happen so quickly and develop into such an amazing form. I don’t want to get too sappy because he will read this and kill me, but I’m so incredibly proud that I can hardly contain myself. It has been so fun to hear from old friends, past acquaintances and people that I’ve met only a few times. Everyone is so excited to know someone who knows him or tell me about their memory of him when he was the little brother tag along. Now when I go to visit him in NYC, I’m the tag along and I love every second of it. I don’t know how much sleep I will get in the next two nights because party plans are running through my head. I’ve prepared and revised the menu multiple times and I think Evan has reached his tolerance level for the furniture rearranging. It will come and go in a flash. While you are watching on Wednesday, keep an eye out for me in the front row at the Bryant Park show. I tried to keep a smile the whole time so if the camera caught me I wouldn’t be picking my nose. We’ll see how that worked out.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I will be so sad it's over.. but I'm sure there will be more to see.. wish we were there for the partae...

mimi said...

I don't even KNOW your brother or family, etc., but I have been dying of anticipation -- I can only imagine how it must be for you all -- especially your Mother! I have just been enjoying him on the show = In Bethesda, MD, I am having my swim friends (I do lot of intense Deep Water Running and we will talk Project Runway during water breaks and a lot of us are big Christian fans) and my youngest daughter over to watch. She calls me during commercials, and the minute the show is over, and she and I have been watching all the reruns. The rest of the family thinks we are seriously ill. I am even reading the fashion reviews of Paris and London! My daughter wants to get her hair cut at the Bubbles Salon in Anapolis! I have champagne ready to toast whoever, but it will be especially sweet if it is your brother. If he wins -- open your window -- you will hear a bunch of screaming women yelling in Bethesda, MD!!!!!

patricia zapata said...

If I'm excited I can't even imagine what you're going through!! It must be total anxiety!

That's such a cute photo of the two of you.
Good luck to your brother!!

Shannon said...

Jane, Mimi and Patricia, thank you so much for your comments.

Jane, we wish you were here!

Mimi, I know its a haul, but the salon in Annapolis is fantastic. If she goes, have her make an appointment with Jamie or Heather. Jamie does my hair and Heather has done Christian's hair. If neither of them are available, Nicole and Donnie are fabulous, too. Really they are all fabulous.

Patricia, I love this picture, but Evan said it wasn't Fierce. I called and got approval from the boss to put it up. Never have I asked permission from my brother to do anything. Its so funny.

Kanani said...

I think it'd be funny to have a big sign that says "FIERCE."

Take lots of photos! I really hope your brother wins. And I really like the way all the families are supporting the designers!

By the way, I found out that the Arkansas Literary Festival starts soon. Is it close to you?

Tbone said...

We'll be cheering Christian on tonight, Shannon!

nicole lecht said...

how cool to have such a creative brother, you two look like two peas in a pod in that pic! I'm watching tonite and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for him...your family must be proud of both of you!

Anonymous said...

I've got my fingers crossed for Christian. He has an extrememly bright future ahead of him, especialy with such a loving and supportive family.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon! Have a blast! Thanks for the inside scoop. But be careful about cutting any little brother too much slack :o) As a species they have a way of not giving it back! I'm speaking as a Veteran Older Sister here...

maria said...

Aw, totally cheering for your little brother tonight up here in Canada. He's such a talent, and seems like an all-round decent guy.

Whatever happens, clinking my champagne flute to such a talented young designer.

Tbone said...

Shannon - you looked adorable on the show tonight!

Anonymous said...

umm your brother just freaking WON
AND YOU LOOKED FABU
THAT'S A BIG DEAL

TLo said...

Congratulations, darling! Your brother is amazingly talented. And you looked fabulous on the show. We kept saying to each other "oh my god, that's Shannon", "There she is again", "and again". Totally fierce!

Kanani said...

Oh, Shannon!

I cried.
I'm so happy for your brother.
And happy for your family, too.
A car, the money, the chance to dress Posh, but most of all validation, which is so important for any creative person to get --sometimes like his in heaps and gobs!

mimi said...

I hope you had as much fun at your party as we did at ours! We screamed so loud and popped the GOOD champagne to celebrate. I thought you looked beautiful on TV. Thank your brother for me for making this season a wonderful one. I have never picked a winner from the "Meet the Designers" before, but then again, he is special and so are you!

patricia zapata said...

Congratulations to your brother!! He so so deserved it. You looked very cute!

KimberlyShavatt said...

Congrats to your brother! My mother works with your mom at Jacobsville (Linda in the Office). We talked about the show constantly and were cheering for Christian the whole time. He really is talented and creative!

I'm really sorry it's over - what will we do on Wednesday nights now?