Sunday, July 12, 2009

Server Inspired Cupcakes

It is not often that a chef’s food is inspired by their serving pieces. I am in no way calling myself a chef, but in this case my cupcakes were totally inspired by the dish on which they would be displayed. During her visit last week, Evan’s Mom, Jane, brought us this Pink Etched Depression Glass server that belonged to Evan’s Grandparents. It goes beautifully with my Great Grandmother’s china that we recently unpacked. It just happened to work out that I had a can of Strawberry Mist frosting sitting in my cabinet that I was planning to try out. I just used my box mix of white cake and then frosted the cupcakes in a manor inspired by a post I recently saw on Bakerella. Her cupcakes (below) were from Retro Bakery, a professional cupcake bakery in Vegas. My cupcakes are store bought mix and frosting, so they do not compare, but they sure are adorable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am pleased that you are using that plate.. and you made chocolate cakes too.. ;-}

Anonymous said...

How did you frost them like that?

Shannon said...

The frosting was so easy! I used a can of Strawberry Mist whipped frosting and spooned it in a plastic zip lock bag, cut of the corner and then squeezed out the frosting in a circular motion (like you would frozen yogurt).

Kanani said...

Truly decadent! Great!!