Thursday, January 10, 2008

Delicious Leftovers

I do not eat leftovers. I don’t know why I find re-heated food so unappetizing, but it is almost impossible for me to get excited about the same menu two nights in a row. It might have something to do with my childhood. When I was growing up we always used to joke that my mother killed an animal every Sunday. She would cook a ham or a roast or a whole chicken and then we’d have it in some fashion for the rest of the week. It would be served hot on Sunday, cold on Monday, sandwiches on Tuesday, Wednesday, and a casserole on Thursday and Friday. By the end of the week, we were finished with whatever animal had died the week before. Now that I cook for myself, (if you can call it that) I rely on Evan to clean out the refrigerator.

I have found the perfect remedy for this problem, The Chicken Broccoli Wreath. This recipe was in one of my new Pampered Chef cookbooks. The first time I planned to try the recipe I was amazed that I had everything I needed to make it without a special trip to the store. Evan had grilled some chicken two days before and we always have Pillsbury crescent rolls in the fridge. The picture really doesn’t do it justice, but not only does it taste great, it looks beautiful, too.

Ingredients:
1 package refrigerated crescent rolls (we used Pillsbury Big and Flaky)
1 cup coarsely chopped cooked chicken (seasoned) ¾ cup coarsely chopped broccoli
½ cup (2oz) shredded cheddar cheese (we used Italian blend)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon spice of your choice (we used citrus basil)
¼ cup diced red bell pepper (we left these out)
1 small garlic clove, pressed
Salt
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons slivered almonds

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Unroll crescent rolls, separate into eight triangles. Arrange triangles, slightly overlapping, in a circle on a round baking stone (or pan) with wide ends 3 inches from edge (points will extend off the edge). Leave a three inch opening in the center.
3. Combine chicken, broccoli, cheese, mayonnaise, seasoning, garlic, salt and red peppers in a bowl. Mix well.
4. Scoop filling evenly over dough in a continuous circle. Bring point of triangles over the filling and tuck under dough at the center to form a ring.
5. Brush dough with egg white and sprinkle with almonds.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes or until deep golden brown.

No comments: