Sunday, May 3, 2009

Wolverine

I have been a Super Fan of the X Men movies, since the first one came out in 2000. This surprises some people that know me. I guess I must seem like a romantic comedy kind of girl. Not the case. My little brother collected X Men cards as a kid, so I knew some of the characters, and was absolutely in love with how all fit together on this team of heroes fighting against discrimination from regular humans. My favorite of the three X Men movies has to be X2. That is where we learned a lot about more about the ever mysterious Wolverine (everyone’s favorite hottie mutant.) This Friday, Evan took me on a date to see the new Wolverine movie. I absolutely loved it. I had heard that the movie got mixed reviews, but I was absolutely satisfied with a good mix of story and action with a little love story mixed right in. I also enjoyed a quick glimpse of a younger version of some characters that I love from X Men including Cyclops and the Professor. Hugh Jackman was great as always. He is, in my mind, Wolverine no matter what other role he is playing. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of Liev Schreiber. I like Schreiber as an actor, but hadn’t seen him in a role like this. He usually plays a pretty tightly wound character, nothing like the evil brother of Wolverine. He almost stole the show and was truly terrifying. I almost hope that the next Origins X Men movie is based on his character, Sabertooth, Victor Creed. I feel like the Wolverine movie could have a sequel of it’s own. That might start to get complicated. A sequel to a prequel, can you even do that? Whether it is more Wolverine or the back story of the other characters, I am just hoping that the remaining X Men Origins movies are as good as this one. I plan to see them all.

No comments: